The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre: Our Work and our Mission
The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre (GCIC) is a pioneering business incubator and accelerator with a unique focus on supporting small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ghana’s ‘Green Economy’. The Centre is an institute of Ashesi University, one of Africa’s leading liberal arts universities with a mission to raise ethical, entrepreneurial leaders with the courage to transform the continent.
GCIC’s work is at the nexus of private enterprise, climate change, economic development, and ecological prosperity. We support an exceptional set of transformational businesses and entrepreneurs who are pioneering adaptive and mitigating solutions for climate change issues in Ghana.
Since commencement of business incubation activities in June 2017, GCIC has supported 101 enterprises in Ghana’s small and growing business sector who have climate innovation in five key economic sectors, namely: climate smart agriculture, solar power, energy efficiency, domestic waste management, and water management and purification. To date, these enterprises have performed admirably to, inter alia, scale their businesses, generating cumulative revenues of over US$2.1m, sequester 14,500MTs of CO2 emissions, raised early or growth stage financing of over US$2m, created 733 jobs, and have served over 400,000 Ghanaian households with their climate-smart goods and services.
Ghana’s economic growth is driven by SMEs, with SMEs accounting for more than 70% of businesses in Ghana. Given this, developing and enhancing entrepreneurship professionalism among Ghana’s SMEs so that they can start, operate and grow their businesses more successfully using international best practice (together with improving their knowledge base and building their understanding of the practicalities of private enterprise) is a prerequisite to ensure that SMEs, and especially SMEs with important climate innovation that respond to the climate emergency, have the capacity to commercially succeed and to go the long-haul with their business.
Through a competitive national search and selection process, the GCIC identifies and supports enterprises in its incubator and accelerator with a range of interventions and services, including business advisory services, technical services in the development, prototyping and testing of their innovation, climate policy advocacy and regulatory support services, market growth and access support as well as financial grants.
Reports to: Executive Director and Procurement and Enterprise Supply Chain Director -GCIC
Provider is being hired to work closely with the Executive Director of GCIC and the Project Team Leads in providing administrative assistance, and project management assistance in coordinating project work streams.
- Providing day-to-day project management support, program oversight and related activities, including coordination across project teams and monitoring project activities against plans and partnership agreements;
- Maintaining full knowledge of project issues, including current information on the operational environment and potential risks;
- Maintaining regular communication and interaction with all team members and partners, ensuring that they are fully supported administratively and thereby facilitating smooth work implementation;
- Participating proactively in team-wide meetings and initiatives, reporting project activities and status to the Executive Director and workstream leads;
- Promoting integration and cross fertilization of ideas and information across the Centre’s workstreams and partnerships
- Drafting progress reports and minutes of meetings;
- Supporting the Executive Director and workstream leads with the development of presentations and briefings of activities for various stakeholders;
- Preparing project reports, meeting summaries and other deliverables to donors;
- Schedules and coordinates travel arrangements for team members and entrepreneurs as may be required
- Performs other duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- BS/BA in Business Administration or Management Information Systems is a plus.
- Proven seven years experience working in an administration or operational role.
- Proven office organisational and file management skills, strong ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated high computer literacy: particularly with programmes in Microsoft Office/cloud computing.
- Demonstrated experience of working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Understanding of and ability to work with policies and procedures of donor organisations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience of working on with start-ups, accelerators, incubators.
- Project coordination experience.
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Willingness to work flexibly in response to changing organisational requirements.
- Sensitivity to confidential matters is required.
How to Apply:
Kindly send CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should be titled “Project Administrator”. Deadline for applications is 30th September 2021.