The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre: Our Work and our Mission
The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre (GCIC) is a pioneering business incubator and accelerator with a unique focus on supporting small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ghana’s ‘Green Economy’. The Centre is an institute of Ashesi University, one of Africa’s leading liberal arts universities with a mission to raise ethical, entrepreneurial leaders with the courage to transform the continent.
GCIC’s work is at the nexus of private enterprise, climate change, economic development, and ecological prosperity. We support an exceptional set of transformational businesses and entrepreneurs who are pioneering adaptive and mitigating solutions for climate change issues in Ghana.
Since commencement of business incubation activities in June 2017, GCIC has supported 120 enterprises in Ghana’s small and growing business sector who have climate innovation in five key economic sectors, namely: climate smart agriculture, solar power, energy efficiency, domestic waste management, and water management and purification. To date, these enterprises have performed admirably to, inter alia, scale their businesses, generating cumulative revenues of over US$3m, sequestered 21,500MTs of CO2 emissions, raised early or growth stage financing of over US$2m, created 1,200 jobs, and have served over 500,000 Ghanaian households with their climate-smart goods and services.
Ghana’s economic growth is driven by SMEs, with SMEs accounting for more than 70% of businesses in Ghana. Given this, developing and enhancing entrepreneurship professionalism among Ghana’s SMEs so that they can start, operate and grow their businesses more successfully using international best practice (together with improving their knowledge base and building their understanding of the practicalities of private enterprise) is a prerequisite to ensure that SMEs, and especially SMEs with important climate innovation that respond to the climate emergency, have the capacity to commercially succeed and to go the long-haul with their business.
Through a competitive national search and selection process, the GCIC identifies and supports enterprises in its incubator and accelerator with a range of interventions and services, including business advisory services, technical services in the development, prototyping and testing of their innovation, climate policy advocacy and regulatory support services, market growth and access support as well as financial grants.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Director-GCIC
The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre is seeking to recruit a Marketing and Communications Officer to work within the Centre’s Marketing and Communications Unit to deliver the Centre’s work program centred on the development and execution of marketing, communications, and storytelling interventions which showcase the Centre’s work with climate smart enterprises, whilst also advancing and advocating the business case for a transition to a low carbon economy.
- Supports the Marketing and Communications Director in the development and execution of the annual marketing and communications strategy, and in executing of all GCIC marketing activities and programs.
- Works with the Marketing and Communications Director in relationship management with the Centre’s creative agency, graphic designer and BTL agency.
- Lead and curate the development and production of the Centre’s quarterly newsletter.
- Takes lead in the use of digital and print media, social media, events, and workshops to publicize the Centre’s work, tailoring these towards specific audiences.
- Supports the Marketing and Communications Director in ensuring quality control on all GCIC publications.
- Maintains cordial relations with GCIC media partners and ensures regular publishing of GCIC activities on media partner platforms.
- Responsible for arranging and preparing for press interviews, press conferences, briefings, tours of programs/projects/activities, and interaction with donors and other stakeholder
- Coordinates the execution of GCIC events and ensures that all event information (e.g., event brochures, press packs) have been prepared, and meet quality standards and time requirements.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or Advertising.
- A minimum of 7 years of full time work experience in communications, public relations, or journalism.
- Excellent command of English, with a pronounced ability to communicate effectively and expressly both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of working with entrepreneurs and the start-up ecosystem would be a distinct advantage
How to Apply:
Kindly send CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com. Emails should be titled “Marketing and Communications Officer”. Deadline for applications is 19th August 2022.