The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre: Our Work and our Mission
The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre (GCIC) is a pioneering business incubator and accelerator with a unique focus on supporting small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ghana’s ‘Green Economy’. The Centre is an institute of Ashesi University, one of Africa’s leading liberal arts universities with a mission to raise ethical, entrepreneurial leaders with the courage to transform the continent.
GCIC’s work is at the nexus of private enterprise, climate change, economic development, and ecological prosperity. We support an exceptional set of transformational businesses and entrepreneurs who are pioneering adaptive and mitigating solutions for climate change issues in Ghana.
Since commencement of business incubation activities in June 2017, GCIC has supported 101 enterprises in Ghana’s small and growing business sector who have climate innovation in five key economic sectors, namely: climate smart agriculture, solar power, energy efficiency, domestic waste management, and water management and purification. To date, these enterprises have performed admirably to, inter alia, scale their businesses, generating cumulative revenues of over US$2.1m, sequester 14,500MTs of CO2 emissions, raised early or growth stage financing of over US$2m, created 733 jobs, and have served over 400,000 Ghanaian households with their climate-smart goods and services.
Ghana’s economic growth is driven by SMEs, with SMEs accounting for more than 70% of businesses in Ghana. Given this, developing and enhancing entrepreneurship professionalism among Ghana’s SMEs so that they can start, operate and grow their businesses more successfully using international best practice (together with improving their knowledge base and building their understanding of the practicalities of private enterprise) is a prerequisite to ensure that SMEs, and especially SMEs with important climate innovation that respond to the climate emergency, have the capacity to commercially succeed and to go the long-haul with their business.
Through a competitive national search and selection process, the GCIC identifies and supports enterprises in its incubator and accelerator with a range of interventions and services, including business advisory services, technical services in the development, prototyping and testing of their innovation, climate policy advocacy and regulatory support services, market growth and access support as well as financial grants.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND MARKET ACCESS OFFICER
Reports to: Entrepreneurship Director-GCIC
Provider is being hired as the Entrepreneurship Officer to coordinate and assist in the running of the business advisory and support services, technical assistance, entrepreneurial classes and training, office space management and other programmes of the entrepreneurship and venture acceleration workstream.
- Coordinates the provision of business advisory services and technical assistance to client SMEs.
- Support with the continued improvement of the GCIC training curriculum
- Coordinate GCIC entrepreneurship trainings
- Coordinate the delivery of the women entrepreneurs transformation program
- Program manage the activities of the Entrepreneurship and Venture Acceleration workstream. This will include supporting in the development of comprehensive annual calendar and workplans and maintain/tracking progress
- Development of networks and clusters – engineer events and programmes that encourage collaboration between GCIC and other players in the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana and internationally
- Monitor and assess the work between portfolio managers and GCIC clients/GCIC supported enterprises
- Keep an inventory of potential intellectual property (IP) and how they can be validated
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of the entrepreneurship & innovation landscape in Ghana and beyond
- Works closely with the Access to Finance workstream to collate, maintain and disseminate information relating to investors including venture capital and business angels.
- Works closely with the marketing and communication team to ensure the right stories are being told about GCIC and its clients.
- Provide strategic input regarding market development, reimbursement and pricing information.
- Build alliances and expand networks with key stakeholders within government and other organizations to build equity and credibility.
- Support the development and implementation of access and value preposition plans.
- The job may require working outside office hours to meet deadlines and address operational emergencies in some cases.
- The job will require on-site visits to GCIC clients located from across Ghana. This may happen on a regular basis.
- International and domestic travel may occur from time to time, including to interact with the global network of CICs.
Qualifications and Requirements
- University degree in Business/ Business Management or Administration/ related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience working in an incubator of business support service provider highly desired.
- Experience providing companies with business support.
- Track record of delivering time and financially bound projects to external stakeholders/ government within the innovation environment.
- Actively staying abreast of current developments relevant to an incubator.
- Program management and supervisory experience desired.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking abilities.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and hands-on skills and style.
- Excellent office management skills.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Good written communication.
- Ability to manage and work with ambiguity.
How to Apply:
Kindly send CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should be titled “Entrepreneurship and Market Access Officer”. Deadline for applications is 30th September 2021.