The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre: Our Work and our Mission
The Ghana Climate Innovation Centre (GCIC) is a pioneering business incubator and accelerator with a unique focus on supporting small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Ghana’s ‘Green Economy’. The Centre is an institute of Ashesi University, one of Africa’s leading liberal arts universities with a mission to raise ethical, entrepreneurial leaders with the courage to transform the continent.
GCIC’s work is at the nexus of private enterprise, climate change, economic development, and ecological prosperity. We support an exceptional set of transformational businesses and entrepreneurs who are pioneering adaptive and mitigating solutions for climate change issues in Ghana.
Since commencement of business incubation activities in June 2017, GCIC has supported 101 enterprises in Ghana’s small and growing business sector who have climate innovation in five key economic sectors, namely: climate smart agriculture, solar power, energy efficiency, domestic waste management, and water management and purification. To date, these enterprises have performed admirably to, inter alia, scale their businesses, generating cumulative revenues of over US$2.1m, sequester 14,500MTs of CO2 emissions, raised early or growth stage financing of over US$2m, created 733 jobs, and have served over 400,000 Ghanaian households with their climate-smart goods and services.
Ghana’s economic growth is driven by SMEs, with SMEs accounting for more than 70% of businesses in Ghana. Given this, developing and enhancing entrepreneurship professionalism among Ghana’s SMEs so that they can start, operate and grow their businesses more successfully using international best practice (together with improving their knowledge base and building their understanding of the practicalities of private enterprise) is a prerequisite to ensure that SMEs, and especially SMEs with important climate innovation that respond to the climate emergency, have the capacity to commercially succeed and to go the long-haul with their business.
Through a competitive national search and selection process, the GCIC identifies and supports enterprises in its incubator and accelerator with a range of interventions and services, including business advisory services, technical services in the development, prototyping and testing of their innovation, climate policy advocacy and regulatory support services, market growth and access support as well as financial grants.
DIRECTOR PARTNERSHIPS, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INVESTMENTS
Reports to: Executive Director-GCIC
Provider is being hired to support the Centre in the realisation of its ambition to become a renowned Centre of Excellence for climate smart business incubation and entrepreneurship, spearheading the transition to a low carbon economy through SME led private enterprise. The Director Partnerships, Entrepreneurship and Investments will support the Centre’s Executive Director in executing the Centre’s business strategy, as well as oversee the design and execution of all GCIC’s entrepreneurship support programs at the GCIC School of Sustainable Entrepreneurship®, including a cohort-based accelerator program and technology incubation program.
As the GCIC enters a significant and exciting phase of its development and transitions beyond the financial support of its original donors, this is a critical position for the GCIC and demands a highly capable and dynamic individual comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment. The selected candidate will be a member of the GCIC executive team, working closely with and reporting to the GCIC’s Executive Director.
- Demonstrates robust thought leadership design and execution of the national search and selection of entrepreneurs to the GCIC incubator and accelerator, paying particular attention to ensure gender equity in the process. GCIC has a commitment to ensure that at least half of its clients/incubatees are women-owned or women-led enterprises.
- With the Executive Director, plans and designs the progression of GCIC’s overall bouquet of services; coordinating early and growth stage business advisory service offerings of the Centre to supported enterprises.
- Manages resources and access to resources for GCIC supported entrepreneurs; leading the access to finance, grant application, disbursement and management process for GCIC entrepreneurs.
- Oversees the design and evolution of entrepreneurship training at the GCIC School of Sustainable Entrepreneurship®, ensuring that module contents support a growth mindset for entrepreneurs; curates new, stimulating and authentic learning opportunities for entrepreneurs; and ensures the inclusion of gender-balanced facilitators as well as gender-responsive climate related topics.
- Works with the GCIC Marketing and Communications Director to coordinate marketing and outreach strategies; and works with the Enterprise Technology and Product Development Manager to ensure that premium technical facilities are available to all GCIC supported entrepreneurs, including prototyping, testing, lean manufacturing machinery and software.
- Supports the Executive Director with fundraising activities for the Centre’s medium to long-term sustainability, leading the development and submission of appropriate funding proposals with appropriate partners and organisations
- Build long term relationships and create strategic alliances and partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and international donors within the international entrepreneurial and climate change ecosystem
- Serves as an effective interface between GCIC’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Participates in national and international forums, speaking engagements and thought leadership events for and on behalf of the Centre
- Oversees GCIC’s operational processes to ensure outstanding customer experience.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc/BA in Business Administration, Engineering, Economics or another relevant field. MBA or another advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- At least 12 years of experience in the provision of strategic business advisory services, management consulting, or the provision of tailored advisory services to small and growing businesses would be a distinct advantage.
- Prior leadership experience in an early and growth stage company, with knowledge of and familiarity with the key issues that confront typical start-ups.
- Knowledge of and experience of working at the intersections of private enterprise, climate change, climate action and economic development
- Problem solver with strong ability to think strategically, laterally, and creatively.
- Excellent convener and persuasive facilitator, with demonstrated partnership building skills.
- Outstanding presentation and communication (including public speaking) skills, with the ability to communicate and work effectively with multiple and differing internal as well as external stakeholders.
- Commitment to executing GCIC’s gender sensitive and gender equity approach to business incubation, ensuring that all GCIC’s programs have an equal impact on both men and women involved in the incubator and accelerator.
- Ability to represent the GCIC in local and international forums, interact with leading thinkers and actors in the climate-smart entrepreneurship ecosystems locally and globally.
- A sincere passion for entrepreneurs and the ecosystem that supports start-ups in the region.
How to Apply:
Kindly send CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should be titled “Director Partnerships, Entrepreneurship and Investments”. Deadline for applications is 30th September 2021.