The Ghana Climate Innovation Center (GCIC) is a cutting-edge national business incubator located in Ghana. The Centre is an institute of Ashesi University, one of the country’s premier tertiary institutions. The Centre was established in 2016 to support Ghanaian entrepreneurs and new ventures involved in developing profitable and locally appropriate solutions to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
GCIC’s focus is on developing and growing green, profitable, and sustainable businesses, led by ethical leaders with critical thinking skills and a deep commitment to gender equality and social responsibility. GCIC is a disruptive force leading the efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change while driving Ghana’s economic growth. Our passionate, courageous, and dedicated team members and entrepreneurs are committed to the transition to a prosperous, inclusive low-carbon economy. Our commitment to our entrepreneurs is to develop and provide:
- Holistic business and leadership training programs;
- Tailored portfolio management and support services, including financial grants;
- Access to global industry and financial experts in the following five sectors: climate smart agriculture, energy efficiency, solar power, water management, domestic waste management; and
- Influence the government policy sector to advance climate-smart policies and statutes.
GCIC challenges the mindset of its entrepreneurs, cultivating and strengthening their focus on sustainable commercial success, but also their contribution to long-term implications of their activity in Ghana, Africa, and the world. We seek to drive inclusive interventions not only around the green economy but especially concerning women’s economic empowerment and financial inclusion. We see this focus as essential to building an economic powerhouse and a sustainable society in Ghana.
A centre of excellence, growing Ghana’s green economy through sustainable entrepreneurship, innovation, and climate policy advocacy.
Our mission is to develop and support an exceptional set of transformational ventures and entrepreneurs who are pioneering adaptive and mitigating solutions for climate change issues in Ghana.
- Curiosity: Persistently seeking knowledge by understanding ourselves and our environment.
- Innovation: GCIC was established to build and support local capacity among climate-smart SMEs to produce and manufacture locally adaptive innovative solutions to climate change mitigation and adaption. Innovation is at the core of what we do.
- Leadership: GCIC is part of Ashesi University whose mission is to raise ethical entrepreneurial leaders in Africa, leaders with critical thinking skills, concern for others, and the courage needed to transform the continent. We deemed that it was even more important to not only support enterprises with business tools and services, but also to support their leadership to be lateral and critical thinkers that have the capacity to lead enterprises that are solutions-based and transformational.